As It Was

Classics & News: Mon-Fri • 9:30am & 1pm | News & Information: Mon-Fri • 9:57am

Colorful vignettes dedicated to the regional history of Southern Oregon and Northern California. As It Was is an all volunteer effort -- produced by Raymond Scully and narrated by Shirley Patton in partnership with writers from the Southern Oregon Historical Society.

If you have a writing background and would like to submit an As It Was essay for consideration, email your written piece to the Southern Oregon Historical Society at publicrelations@sohs.org.

A collection of As It Was essays is available in a high-quality paperback book at the JPR Store.  Each episode is also available below.

Genre: 

Pages

History
2:48 pm
Mon January 27, 2014

World War II Servicemen Frequent Southern Oregon Brothels

As tens of thousands of servicemen filled Oregon military bases during World War II, prostitution boomed in nearby towns.  Officials warned that it took only a few venereal-disease infected prostitutes to create a health hazard, often spread to the general population by so-called “khaki-wackey girls” cozy with infected soldiers.

Read more
History
2:48 pm
Fri January 24, 2014

Lumber Baron Starts Anew in Green Springs East of Ashland, Ore.

Episode 2329

Starting out at age 17 as a horse trader, James Everett Henry spent a lifetime building a lumber empire, buying forests in his native New Hampshire, building lumber and paper mills and power stations to run them and railroads to ship their products.  In his late 70s he retired around 1908 and handed his business empire to his three sons. They sold the business for millions in 1917, and one of them, John H. Henry,  retired to Pasadena, Calif., with his wife, daughter and son, John B. Henry.

Read more
History
10:48 am
Thu January 23, 2014

Metro Goldwyn Trackless Train Visits Rogue Valley in 1925

Episode 2328

The Metro Goldwyn Trackless Train visited the Rogue Valley the first week of November l925, ten years after it had been invented by the H.O. McGee Manufacturing Co. of Indianapolis, Ind. 

Read more
History
11:15 am
Wed January 22, 2014

Charles Ray's Light House Glows through the Night

Episode 2327
 The co-founder of the power company that electrified much of Southern Oregon, Dr. Charles Ray, constructed a home at the corner of West Main and Quince streets in Medford, Ore., in 1918. 
Read more
History
11:07 am
Tue January 21, 2014

Two Immigrant Photographers Record Modoc War of 1872-73

Episode 2326
 Two early photographers, Eadweard [cq] A. Muybridge of San Francisco and Louis Herman Heller of Yreka, covered the Modoc War in 1872-73 in Northeast California between Captain Jack’s small band of Indians and the U.S. Army.
Read more
History
10:55 am
Mon January 20, 2014

Kids Unlimited Offers Access to Quality After-School Programs

Episode 2325
 After working with disadvantaged youth as part of his studies at Missouri State University, Tom Cole worked for Boys & Girls Clubs in Missouri before moving to Medford, Ore. He opened the city’s first Boys & Girls Club in a Quonset hut.
Read more
History
10:47 am
Fri January 17, 2014

Hunters Find Missing Family in Plane Wreck Near Diamond Lake

Episode 2324
 It was Friday, Nov. 29, 1940, when Clarence and Alta Walbert left Medford in the fog for Portland, Ore., in a Piper Cub owned by a Medford Flying Club friend. 
Read more
History
10:41 am
Thu January 16, 2014

Pioneer Hunter, John B. Griffin, Works with Bear Hunting Dogs

Episode 2323
 One of the first babies born in Southern Oregon, John Griffin was brought into this world on Sept. 14, 1853, in Jacksonville.  Over the next 86 years he became a woodsman and hunter known for his bear hunting dogs and his entertaining hunting stories published in regional newspapers in the 1920s and 30s.
Read more
History
10:33 am
Wed January 15, 2014

Lindsay Applegate's Grandson Witnesses Mexican Revolution in 1913

Episode 2322

 The Klamath Falls Evening Herald’s coverage of the Mexican Revolution reported in 1913 that Pancho Villa’s army was seizing foreign-owned farms and industries in Northern Mexico.  

Read more
History
9:54 am
Mon January 13, 2014

Pitchford boys Ranch Offers alternative Delinquency Treatment

Episode 2320
 The Pitchford Boys Ranch opened in 1963 near Roseburg as the first public residential treatmentprogram for delinquent boys in Oregon.  It was named after Agnes Pitchford, Douglas County’s first Juvenile Department director.  The ranch was located at what is now Amacher  Park along the North Umpqua River before moving with state support in 1965 to Twin Forks Park.
Read more

Pages