Strawberry Valley Becomes the Site of Mount Shasta City
As It Was - Episode 2261
An incorporated part of Mount Shasta, Calif., called Strawberry Valley got its name from early settlers because of abundant wild strawberries that grew there. Some say area tribes called the area Wei-Nune-Char-Row, which meant “northwest valley.” This region of Northern California still abounds in wild strawberries, plums, and blackberries. A popular stop along the stage route through the region was Sisson Tavern, named for J. H. Sisson. In 1857, Sisson filed on land that is now the site of the State fish hatchery and the town of Mount Shasta. Sisson quickly became one of the town’s most notable pioneers and leading citizens. He operated cabins for fishermen along the McCloud River, and provided hikers a packing service up Mount Shasta. For a time the town was known as Sisson. In the 1880s and 1890s, “Strawberry” and Sisson’s Tavern were popular tourist destinations. Because there were dozens of other Strawberry Valleys in California, the name of the area’s small settlement was changed to Berryvale. Mrs. Sophia Fellows, who built a second hotel, ran the town’s post office; today the small post office is all that remains of that quaint community. Source: Schrader, Isabel. "Strawberry Valley" Siskiyou Pioneer Vol. 4, No. 1 1968: 59-61. Print.