One of Oregon’s most prolific and imaginative architects of his time, William C. Knighton, designed the National Guard Armory in Roseburg, Ore., that became a prominent site in the city’s downtown district in 1913.
The Viennese Secessionist design is a likeness of a medieval fortress. The building, not common in Oregon at the time, has lasted 103 years, the exterior remaining in nearly original condition. It is one of Oregon’s few remaining historic armory buildings and has been on the National Register of Historical Places since 1993.
The Armory Bill of 1909 guaranteed state funding for one-half of armory construction costs, resulting in the building of 14 armories between 1910 and 1931. The Flegel Community Center occupies the building today.
The National Guard built a new armory around 1978, used today by Company C, 186th Infantry Regiment of the 41st Brigade Combat Team. The unit has served in the Sinai in 2001 and 2002, Iraq in 2002, 2003 and 2009 and Afghanistan in 2006. It has assisted during hurricanes Katrina and Rita and during wildfires in Southern Oregon.
The new Roseburg armory is one of 41 in 33 Oregon communities.
Sources: "Roseburg, Oregon, National Guard Armory." Waymarking.com. 2016. Web. 21 Aug. 2016. <http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMQDVR_Roseburg_Oregon_National_Guard_Armory>. “Roseburg Oregon National Guard Armory.” Wikipedia. 2016. Web.21 Aug. 2016. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseburg_Oregon_National_Guard_Armory