During the Great Depression, the Civilian Conservation Corps, known by its initials as the CCC, built the Glide Ranger Station to house the staff of the northern district of the Umpqua National Forest.
The Corps recruited young men from across the country to work in the forest. At first, their letters home told of homesickness and loneliness, but soon were filled with stories of adventure and pride in a job well done.
Architects had designed the structure in a “rustic” style to feature native stone and timber. Though the interior has been remodeled, the building’s exterior has stayed the same since it was built in 1938. Window shutters have hand-forged strap hinges and pine tree cut-outs; and the CCC’s emblematic pine tree designs were carved at the end of each gable.
Since 1993 the cabin has housed the Colliding Rivers Information Center near the head-to-head confluence of the North Umpqua River and Little River. Volunteers staff the Center from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
The rustic Glide Ranger Station built by the young men of the CCC still serves the public after 77 years.
Source: Brochure Glide Ranger Station Cabin and the Civilian Conservation Corps