History
11:15 am
Wed January 22, 2014

Charles Ray's Light House Glows through the Night

Episode 2327
 The co-founder of the power company that electrified much of Southern Oregon, Dr. Charles Ray, constructed a home at the corner of West Main and Quince streets in Medford, Ore., in 1918. 

 The home was known as the “Light House” owing to its electrification.  Two stories high with a raised roof, it was furnished inside with stained Oregon fir.  It had 10 rooms, not including the baths and closets, with high, doubled-deck porches at both levels, across the front and sides. Massive stairs led to the second story from the 2,500-square-foot first floor. The house had the first electric heating system in the Rogue Valley. Not only was the fireplace electric, but also the bathrooms on both floors were heated, and 10 rows of light fixtures generated heat.   With the house “ablaze with light, inside and out,” including the balcony, porches and veranda, it could be seen from miles away at night. The Ray House was a landmark for years.  Its lights had gone out forever by the time it was razed for a parking lot in 1963. 
Moore Hamilton, Eva. "The Light House." Medford Mail Tribune 1 Sept. 1963: B1.  "Col. Frank H. and Dr. Charles R. Ray”." Southern Oregon History, Revised. Ed. Ben Truwe. Web. 15 Dec. 2013.

Related program: