Jim Long

As It Was Contributor

Jim Long met As It Was editor Kernan Turner when Kernan spoke to the Roseburg writers’ club about contributing to JPR's As Is Was series.  Kernan inspired Jim to look for historically-important stories in the northern part of the State of Jefferson. As a retired professor, Jim feels compelled to listen out for stories that relate to his interests in the natural and social sciences. His contributions to As It Was range from Father Wilbur of the Wilbur Academy in the mid-1800s, to the recovery of the whitetail deer at the old Dunning Ranch, to the story of Nick Botner’s private orchard near Yoncalla created to preserve over 3,000 heritage apple varieties. What a way for Jim, a relative newcomer, to be introduced  to the Land of the Umpqua.

History
2:48 pm
Tue December 16, 2014

Lookout Guard Recalls Summer Jobs in the 1950’s

 

A fire lookout in the 1950s, Lois Christiansen Eagleton of Umpqua, Ore., vividly remembers the four summers when she earned about $250 a month for college.

The first two summers she looked out over the Three Sisters Mountains in Central Oregon. The next two summers, near Fossil, Ore., in Eastern Oregon, she had a panoramic view of what she called a “string of pearls,” snow-capped peaks stretching from Mount Shasta in California to Mount Rainier in Washington.

Read more
History
10:43 am
Wed November 5, 2014

Johnson Family Reopens Riddle Sawmill

 

Lumberman Don R. Johnson and his wife, JoAnne Johnson, settled in Riddle, Ore., in 1951, where they built a sawmill that still stands. Soon they built a plant that produced glue-laminated beams up to five feet deep and 96 feet long.

Further expansion in Oregon included the Umpqua Lumber Co., Prairie Wood Products in Prairie City and Grant Western Lumber Co. in John Day. The Johnsons also operated cattle ranches for 40 years in Eastern Oregon. 

Read more
History
2:43 pm
Fri October 17, 2014

Wolf Creek Job Corps Center Turns 50 This Year

 

The Wolf Creek Job Corps will be 50 years old this year.  The center along Little River near Glide, Ore., was constructed in the mid-1960s and is administered by the U.S. Department of Labor and the Forest Service.

It is one of 125 centers in the country and one of six in Oregon.  The coeducational center houses 231 students between the ages of 16 to 24, teaching them personal, interpersonal, and career skills

Read more
History
10:49 am
Thu September 11, 2014

1000 Friends of Oregon Watch Over Land-Use Legislation

 Oregon’s environmentally minded Gov. Tom McCall championed bipartisan passage of Oregon’s pioneering land-use legislation in 1973. He called it “the brightest jewel in the Oregon diadem of innovations.”  The next year McCall and other prominent Oregonians founded a private, non-profit association called the 1000 Friends of Oregon to watch over the new program. One of its founders was the editor of the Medford Mail Tribune, Eric Allen Jr.  The vice president of the citizen council was Allen Bateman of Klamath Falls.

Read more
History
3:47 pm
Thu August 21, 2014

Umpqua Valley Flower Fights for Survival

The Rough Popcorn flower loves the Umpqua Valley, the only place in the world where it grows. Discovered near Sutherlin, Ore., in 1887, the small, yellow-centered white flower that resembles buttery popcorn is fighting for survival today.

Read more
History
7:53 am
Wed August 6, 2014

Roseburg, Ore., Cancer Center Focuses on Hope

 “Focus on Hope” is the slogan of the Community Cancer Center in Roseburg, Ore., that was created by a few residents in the mid-1970s.  

 The core group discovered key supporters who pledged donations to a “leadership fund.” Soon the organizers created a foundation and a campaign committee of hundreds to approach other residents for matching support.

Read more
History
11:23 am
Wed June 25, 2014

Umpqua Community College Celebrates 50th Anniversary

The Umpqua Community College, celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, got its start when members of an Association of University Women sought opportunities for higher education in Douglas County, Ore.  

Read more
History
10:57 am
Wed June 25, 2014

Talcott Ranch Near Glide, Ore., Founded 160 Years Ago

 In 1854, James and Emily Watson from Missouri settled on land along Little River near Glide, Ore. Today, the 160-year-old ranch is operated by a fifth generation descendent, Mark Talcott, and his wife, Glenda.  They have raised three children on the ranch, where they produce beef, chickens, hogs, vegetables and tree fruits. They sell feeder cattle in the spring and occasionally sell custom-grown beef. They manage a forest and each year sell five or six truckloads of timber.
Read more
History
10:04 am
Mon May 19, 2014

Douglas County Museum Restores 1883 Railcar

Restoration has begun at the Douglas County Museum in Roseburg, Ore., on an ornate railcar built for passengers and baggage.  It is one of three remaining cars of the 14 constructed in 1883 by the Harlan and Hollingsworth Company of Delaware.

Read more
History
8:37 am
Mon April 7, 2014

Tiller Gardens Showcase Camellias in April

On five acres along Elk Creek near Tiller, Ore., a sharp eye can spot more than 50 varieties of camellias, a plant native to Japan, Korea, and China that became popular in the U.S. South in the late 1700s.  French botanist Andre Michaux presented the first imported camellia to South Carolina Gov. Henry Middleton in 1786. That parent plant is still used to propagate others. As the new plant made its way across the United States, Alabama chose the camellia as its state flower. 

Read more
History
10:00 am
Thu March 20, 2014

Douglas County Honors Lumberman

 Was a young man, Milt Herbert saw an opportunity during the post-World War II housing boom to go into the lumber business by starting a sawmill in 1945 in Eugene, Ore.  Herbert and some partners operated the portable sawmill for a few years, and in 1948 he headed to Northern California to search for cheaper timber.  
Read more
History
2:17 pm
Mon February 17, 2014

Company Follows Founder's Advice to Change with the Times

 The Gerretsen Building Supply in Roseburg, Ore. celebrated 90 years in business in 2013.
Read more
History
9:54 am
Mon January 13, 2014

Pitchford boys Ranch Offers alternative Delinquency Treatment

 The Pitchford Boys Ranch opened in 1963 near Roseburg as the first public residential treatmentprogram for delinquent boys in Oregon.  It was named after Agnes Pitchford, Douglas County’s first Juvenile Department director.  The ranch was located at what is now Amacher  Park along the North Umpqua River before moving with state support in 1965 to Twin Forks Park.
Read more
History
11:32 am
Fri December 20, 2013

Umpqua Bank Celebrates 60th Anniversary

  Newspaper advertisements throughout the West Coast trumpeted this year, “Mighty oaks from little acorns grow.”  It was Umpqua Bank’s way of celebrating its 60th anniversary.
Read more
History
11:19 am
Tue December 17, 2013

Dam Eases Passage of Salmon Headed Up the North Umpqua River

Salmon and steelhead are finding it easier to reach habitat above the Soda Springs Dam in the North Umpqua River following federal approval of the dam’s operating license.

Read more
History
11:16 am
Wed September 4, 2013

Yoncalla's "Johnny Appleseed" contributes to Applegate Apple Festival

In the mid-1800s, brothers Jesse and Charles Applegate and their families settled land claims near “Yoncalla,” an area named after an Indian tribe north of Roseburg, Ore. Today, a seven-acre parcel of their property is dedicated to conserving more than 3,000 varieties of apples.

Read more