Amy Couture

As It Was Contributor

Amy Couture is originally from Loomis, California and Astoria, Oregon.  She has a bachelor’s degree in history from the University of Oregon, a master’s in teacher education from Eastern Oregon University, and a master’s in history from Minnesota State University, Mankato.  In graduate school, she focused on 19th-century social and labor history.  Her master’s thesis examined the origins of the labor union movement among Cornish hard rock miners in California’s gold country in the 1860s.  Before moving to Ashland in 2010, Amy taught fifth grade and coached cross country in Stebbins, Alaska.  She also taught history and education classes at Clatsop Community College and Treasure Valley Community College.  She is the author of 14 historical vignettes in the book, Astorians: Eccentric and Extraordinary.  Her husband, Patrick, is the assistant principal of Talent Middle School and they live in Ashland with their two young sons.

Pages

History
9:41 am
Fri January 2, 2015

Early Surveyor Marks Meandering Oregon-California Line

The U.S. General Land Office hired Daniel Major in 1868 to survey the Oregon-California Line. 

Major used a sextant and a crew of 19 to locate the intersection of Nevada, California and Oregon, which he marked by placing three large black bottles and a cottonwood stake surrounded by rocks.  He also erected a sandstone monument with the states’ names engraved on the sides.

Continuing west, Major tracked the 42nd parallel all the way to the Pacific.  Near today’s I-5, the surveyors marked the intersection of the “Emigrant Road to Jacksonville.”

Read more
History
2:53 pm
Fri December 19, 2014

Talent Farmer Welborn Beeson Keeps Christmas Diary

 

Talent, Ore., farmer Welborn Beeson’s journal in 1860 mentioned that the valley was cold and foggy, but that it was clear up on the mountain top.

Read more
History
9:14 am
Thu November 27, 2014

Beckie’s Café Attracts Visitors to Crater Lake

Beckie’s Café, in Union Creek, Ore., is a popular stop for visitors going or returning from Crater Lake on Oregon Route 62.

Edmond and Nettie Beckelhymer, relocating to Southern Oregon from Imperial, Calif., established a restaurant in 1926 at Union Creek on the road to Crater Lake. Ed Beckelhymer, nicknamed “Beckie,” was an auto mechanic and built a service station next door to the restaurant.  His wife, Nettie, cooked at what became known as “Beckie’s Place.”

Read more
History
11:50 am
Thu November 13, 2014

Hersey House Takes Name from Early Ashland, Ore., Settlers

 

Hersey Street in Ashland, Ore., is named for a Michigan family that liked Ashland so much they never left.  They even convinced their grandparents to move across the country to live there too.

James Hersey was born in Michigan in 1876.  At 21, he married Carrie and they had a daughter, Violet.  The young farm family stayed in Michigan for another 10 years before moving West.

Read more
History
10:45 am
Mon October 20, 2014

Jump Off Joe Creek Gets Name from Trapper’s Fall

 

Jump Off Joe Creek, 11 miles north of Grants Pass, Ore., refers to an accident involving 29-year-old Joseph McLoughlin, son of Dr. John McLoughlin, officially designated “the Father of Oregon.”  The creek’s name dates to the 1830s, when the only non-native people in Southern Oregon were transient fur trappers and explorers.

McLoughlin’s father was the powerful chief of the Hudson’s Bay Company operations in the Oregon Territory.  The son’s mother was a Chippewa Indian woman from eastern Canada.

Read more
History
2:25 pm
Wed October 15, 2014

Miners Name Mountain after Their Fleas or Confederates

 

The tallest peak in Josephine County, Ore., is Grayback Mountain at 7,050 feet.

Historians are unsure about the origin of the name, which dates from the mid-19th century.  Some believe Grayback refers to the exposed granite outcroppings near the summit.  Others say that Grayback was a derogatory name for Confederate soldiers during the Civil War, a term that appeared often in Jacksonville’s newspapers in the 1860s.  There is some consensus that miners named the mountain after the fleas in their clothing and bedding, which they called graybacks.

Read more
History
1:00 am
Thu October 2, 2014

Williams, Ore., Takes Name from Indian War Volunteer

 

Williams, Ore., started as a mining community in 1859.  It was first known as Williamsburg, after nearby Williams Creek.

The creek’s name refers to Captain Robert Williams, who was commander of the Althouse Mounted Volunteers during the Rogue River Indian Wars. The Volunteers was a group of 30 miners and settlers based in rural Josephine County near today’s Cave Junction who joined up on Aug. 24, 1853, with Williams as captain.

Read more
History
10:46 am
Mon September 8, 2014

Stranded Dutchman Dies in Snow Storm on Siskiyou Peak

 Dutchman Peak, west of Mount Ashland, was named for a German immigrant who died on the mountain in about 1870.  A ranger in the Applegate District, Lee Port, recorded his oral history in 1945 of the story.

Read more
History
3:09 pm
Wed August 27, 2014

Old Trail Connects Wagner Butte to Ashland Watershed

Using modern technology, the Ashland Woodlands and Trails Association has uncovered one of the oldest trails in the Ashland Watershed.

Read more
History
7:54 am
Thu August 7, 2014

Mount Ashland Draws 200 Runners from Around the Country

 Every August, about 200 runners from across the country scramble up 13 miles of watershed trails from Lithia Park to the top of Southern Oregon’s 7,500-foot Mount Ashland.  It takes only two or three hours, compared with two days by mule and horseback in the early days.

Read more
History
10:15 am
Fri July 18, 2014

Dollarhide Bridge REaches 100th Anniversary

Built 100 years ago, the Dollarhide Bridge on the Old Siskiyou Highway was one of the first two bridges constructed in 1914 by the new Oregon Department of Transportation. The bridge is named after the Dollarhide family that moved to the Rogue Valley in 1869.  

Read more
History
10:54 am
Wed July 16, 2014

Early Rogue Valley Maps Show Towns That No Longer Exist

 On the wall of the 1912 Sunset Schoolhouse in Fort Rock, Ore., is an Oregon map from the 1920s.  It shows the major towns of Ashland and Medford along the Oregon and California Railroad line through the Rogue Valley, and smaller communities that no longer exist.  

Read more
History
10:44 am
Wed June 25, 2014

Richmaid Ice Cream Shop Offers Drive-Through Service in Ashland

 In order to reduce fuel consumption and pollution caused by idling vehicles, the City of Ashland in 1982 discouraged businesses from using drive-up windows. Two years later, a city ordinance prohibited the construction of new drive-up windows and placed a limit on the number that could exist in the city.  A grandfather clause allowed businesses that already had drive-up windows to continue using them.

Read more
History
10:48 am
Fri May 30, 2014

Rodney Glisan's Book Collection Becomes Medical Library

 Rodney Glisan has a major street named after him in Portland, Ore., and his personal book collection generated the first library at the Oregon Health and Science University.  Before he became a leading citizen in Portland, Glisan was a young army medical officer stationed at Port Orford on the Southern Oregon Coast.
Read more
History
9:05 am
Wed May 7, 2014

Justice of the Peace Sues Military Officer for Jailing a Civilian

There was trouble in Port Orford in 1855.  Lt. August Kautz, a German-born officer in the U. S. Army, had arrested a civilian for harassing Indians on the nearby federal reserve.  Kautz jailed the man in the guardhouse for six days.  In response, the local justice of the peace was suing Kautz, accusing him of false imprisonment of a civilian.

Read more
History
10:10 am
Tue April 29, 2014

Ashland Protects Watershed Despite Early Opposition

 For more than 120 years, the Ashland, Ore., City Council has protected the city’s water supply in the 14,000-acre Ashland Creek watershed despite early opposition from private and commercial interests.  

Read more
History
9:09 am
Tue April 15, 2014

Baby Survives Fall from Father's Ashland Flour Mill

 Pioneer Abel Helman built Ashland, Oregon’s Flouring Mill in 1854, the same year his wife, Martha, gave birth to their son, John.  One day after lunch, Helman took the 15-month-old boy to work with him.  The mother planned to meet them later at the flour mill.
Read more
History
9:41 am
Fri March 14, 2014

Alert Pacific Highway Motorist Assists Police in Capturing Mail Thieves

 George Barnum stopped for coffee in the wee hours of March 7, 1922, in Dunsmuir, Calif., on his way home to Medford, Ore., from San Francisco.  At the restaurant, a police officer told Barnum that robbers had stolen a mail pouch up the road at Weed, and the government was offering a $5,000 reward for their capture.  Barnum hadn’t passed any southbound cars that morning as he drove north on the Pacific Highway that followed the old Siskiyou Trail.
Read more
History
1:53 pm
Tue February 25, 2014

Old Millrace Leaves Traces in Lithia Park

 In Ashland’s Lithia Park, a ditch leaves Ashland Creek just above the playground and runs straight to the hill above the Lower Duck Pond.  A crude dirt path parallels the ditch, which is now partly buried by erosion, leaves, and pine needles.  But the ditch was once a millrace, flowing with water that entered a wooden flume and turned the grindstone at the Ashland Flouring Mill.  
Read more
History
2:26 pm
Wed February 5, 2014

Anderson Creek Takes Name from Early Phoenix (Ore.) Settlers

 Anderson Creek, which enters Bear Creek at the south end of today’s Phoenix, Ore., was named for Eli Knighton Anderson and his brother, two of the first settlers in the Rogue Valley.  
Read more

Pages