Dennis M. Powers

As It Was Contributor

Dennis M. Powers was a business law attorney with different real estate and business ventures before teaching as a full professor and later professor emeritus at Southern Oregon University in Ashland. He is a graduate of the University of Colorado (b.a.), the University of Denver Law School (j.d.), and Harvard Business School (m.b.a.). He loves researching history.  Powers is the author of 18 books, including five about the sea, a long-time interest.  The Raging Sea (2005) is about the crushing 1964 Crescent City tsunami; Treasure Ship (2006): the discovery of a gold-bearing, 1865 paddle-wheeler that sank off Northern California; Sentinel Of The Seas (2007): the most remote, dangerous, and expensive lighthouse in the country; Taking The Sea (2009): the tales of the old ship salvagers; and Tales Of The Seven Seas (2010): the stories of a charismatic, adventurous sea captain. Powers resides in Ashland, Oregon.  

An Ashland High School graduate who was the 1996 Oregon High School golf champion, Jason Allred, went on to play on the Professional Golfers’ Association Tour.  Before that, he competed in collegiate golf at Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif., where he graduated in 2002. 

 The author P.K. Hallinan stayed awake one night questioning what he wanted to do with his life.  Hallinan, who lives near the Siskiyou Pass in the mountains outside of Ashland, Ore., decided to be a novelist.  He said he wrote two terrible novels that he threw away.

 When he started an after-school program for disadvantaged youths in 1998, Tom Cole of Kids Unlimited never envisioned that one day he would become a successful high school basketball coach. However, he did create boys and girls basketball programs at Kids Unlimited.

Growing up in Los Angeles’s San Fernando Valley in the 1940s, David Siddon had easy access to the wilderness before the region’s housing sprawl began.  He enjoyed his career as a writer, photographer, and filmmaker, traveling the world filming wild and domestic animals for TV productions.

 In the 1950s, Medford rancher and real estate developer John Stewart Day speed-climbed four Oregon peaks in a day and climbed six towering Washington mountains in nine days. An all-around outdoorsman, Day was a record-setting, big-game hunter and holder of several national age-group bicycle racing records.

 The co-founder of the power company that electrified much of Southern Oregon, Dr. Charles Ray, constructed a home at the corner of West Main and Quince streets in Medford, Ore., in 1918. 

 After working with disadvantaged youth as part of his studies at Missouri State University, Tom Cole worked for Boys & Girls Clubs in Missouri before moving to Medford, Ore. He opened the city’s first Boys & Girls Club in a Quonset hut.

The Gold Dust Days celebration in Gold Hill, Ore., has changed considerably over the years.  It dates back decades to the Salmon Festival, which later became the Community Carnival.

For many years, people and products depended on trains to travel from town to town.  Medford folks could journey to Ashland, or Grants Pass, conduct business, and return the same day. The train engineer was important and town folks knew him, especially during the 1910s.

In October 2005, Bob Chaney was retired and living with his wife, Francis, in Jacksonville. The Chaney’s daughter, Carolyn, and their son-in-law, Medford landscaper Steve West, were living in a modest Medford home.

Les Gutches started wrestling with a local club when he was seven years old, and by the time he reached South Medford High School he was a star, winning three state wrestling titles in the early 1990s. At Oregon State, he won NCAA Division-1 wrestling titles in 1995 and 1996, and was named the nation’s top collegiate wrestler.

As It Was - Episode 2268

As It Was - Episode 2266

As It Was - Episode 2256

As It Was - Episode 2254

News of Deaths

Sep 3, 2013

Following years of sailing, gold mining, and real estate ventures, Capt. John Nash retired in Medford, Ore.  He bought the Hotel Medford in 1894 at the southeast corner of Main and Front streets, enlarged it and changed the name to the Nash Hotel.