Charles Ter Bush

As It Was Contributor

Charles Ter Bush is a retired legal publishing executive.  Charlie and his wife moved to Ashland in 2014 from Chicago to be nearer her son and his family and the beautiful Oregon countryside.  He has joined the Southern Oregon Historical Society and is enjoying learning and writing about the area.  Charlie is a recovering attorney whose legal writing career consisted primarily of explaining tax law in clear English, so writing about Oregon history is a clear improvement. When not writing or researching, Charlie spends much of his time playing trombone in various local jazz and classical ensembles.

Railroad stations generally remain in one place, but the original Ashland depot, built in 1884 when the Oregon and California Railroad reached Ashland from Portland, had an unusually mobile existence.